BC Canada Boating Forum - Gulf Islands Cruising School Ltd.
October 23, 2014, 02:20:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Return to
Gulf Islands Cruising School Ltd.

Boating Gear

Sail & Power Boat Blog

Canadian Coast Guard Base Closures

Free Report - Boating Information, The Fundamentals

Docking Twin Sterndrive Advanced

How to Buy a Boat

Boating Snacks - Free Report

Standard Horizon HX850S Handheld Radio and GPS Waterproof and it floats. This is the radio I own.
Waypoint Marine, on Harbour Rd in Sidney, is a dealer for this radio and the PFDs below.

This is the Mustang MD3153 - Deluxe Inflatable PFD with HIT (auto hydrostatic activation) which I have used extensively. Comfortable and easy to wear.
Mustang Blog
I have just received a new MD3153 HD inflatable. All the benefits of the MD3183 plus the heavy duty fabric improves puncture and abrasion resistance and is easy to clean. Other new innovations include a damage-tolerant inflator cover - no more cracked inspection windows. I will post my observations after I have a chance to use it. Our son has used this PFD two mornings on his job and his comment was "Way more comfortable".
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Errors on Garmin cartridges  (Read 6841 times)
Captain Bruce
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: December 20, 2010, 01:20:03 PM »

I was out last week with a client who had just purchased a Garmin 5212 display with a g2 version 12.0 cartridge.  We were planning on going through Active Pass and when we looked at the current data it only showed flood currents.  The value of the rate was correct, the ebb currents were shown as flood.

When we returned to Sidney, we visited the local dealer and tried the cartridge in two other units.  We also tried a number of other cartridges, g2 version 11.5, g2 Vision, one was the 2007 edition and they all had the same error.

After returning to the boat, I went through all the Canadian current stations I could find.  Only Discovery Island and Trial Islands were correct. The American stations which I looked at were correct.

The following current stations were incorrect:
Active Pass
Porlier Pass
First Narrows
Second Narrows
Race Passage
Sechelt Rapids
Dodd Narrows
Gabriola Passage
Seymour Narows
Beazley Passage
Hole in the Wall
Nakwakto Rapids
Arran Rapids
Gillard Passage
Scott Channel

My client has contacted Garmin and and they have their marine developer investigating.

Until this situation is resolved, I would advise everyone to check the Official CHS Current tables.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 10:45:35 AM by Bruce » Logged

Captain Bruce
Chief Instructor
Captain Bruce
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 12:32:38 PM »

Message to Garmin
I believe you have missed the point.  The graphical presentation, which is the default view, is wrong.  It is not a case of not being presented ideally, the data, both graphical and report view is wrong.

If you compare Discovery Island and Trial Islands, which are correct, with any of the other Canadian current stations the differences are quite clear.

Discovery & Trial                           
Default view
Graph shows flood & ebb                 
Flood is Blue, Ebb is Red                 

All other stations
Show only flood currents Wrong
Only shows Blue            Wrong

Discovery & Trial
Report view
Shows slack in Black, no direction     
Flood maximum in Blue, positive value   
Ebb maximum in Red, negative value           

All other Stations
Shows slack in Red, with a direction, no Black print      Wrong
Flood maximum in Blue, positive value which is correct
Ebb maximum in Blue, positive value  Wrong

I have photos which show these differences if that would help you.  Please let me know if you want me to send these photos.  I did not include them to save time and data.

As an Instructor I have experience with almost every manufacturer of GPS Plotter and I have not seen a situation like this before.  To verify our contention, we compared the Garmin data to the CHS Tide and Current tables. I also compared with the Navionics software on my Android phone, which cost me just over $14 and the data is correct.

Captain Bruce
Chief Instructor
Captain Bruce
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 04:24:26 PM »

In a response from Garmin, the two currents stations which are displayed correctly are based on NOAA data, which is the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. 

The stations which are incorrect are based on Canadian Hydrographic Service data.

Captain Bruce
Chief Instructor
Dennett

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 08:44:59 PM »

Garmin is responsible to their customers for ensuring that their products provide correct information. Other brands of GPS that use CHS data provide correct information, so Garmin cannot hide behind the claim that it's not their problem because the CHS data is wrong.

Either the CHS data file that Garmin used was damaged in some way and contains incorrect data, or Garmin introduced errors when they programmed the CHS data into their software.

In either case, now that Garmin has been informed of the problem, it is their legal responsibility to fix it. Just let them try to wriggle out of that responsibility in court!!
Captain Bruce
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 08:11:47 PM »

Today I received an email from the Marine Map Technology manager for Garmin.

He has his team working on the problem and they have attempted to contact Canadian Hydrographic Service.  Unfortunately some members of his team and some staff from CHS are away on holiday so answers will not be available until January.   

Captain Bruce
Chief Instructor
Captain Bruce
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 12:04:09 PM »

Garmin has released a software update which you may obtain by contacting Garmin support.

Captain Bruce
Chief Instructor
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Just Released!
Boating FAQs - 71 Essential Answers for Every Boater

We recommend: