BC Canada Boating Forum - Gulf Islands Cruising School Ltd.
October 31, 2014, 02:40:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Return to
Gulf Islands Cruising School Ltd.

Boating Gear

Sail & Power Boat Blog

Canadian Coast Guard Base Closures

Free Report - Boating Information, The Fundamentals

Docking Twin Sterndrive Advanced

How to Buy a Boat

Boating Snacks - Free Report

Standard Horizon HX850S Handheld Radio and GPS Waterproof and it floats. This is the radio I own.
Waypoint Marine, on Harbour Rd in Sidney, is a dealer for this radio and the PFDs below.

This is the Mustang MD3153 - Deluxe Inflatable PFD with HIT (auto hydrostatic activation) which I have used extensively. Comfortable and easy to wear.
Mustang Blog
I have just received a new MD3153 HD inflatable. All the benefits of the MD3183 plus the heavy duty fabric improves puncture and abrasion resistance and is easy to clean. Other new innovations include a damage-tolerant inflator cover - no more cracked inspection windows. I will post my observations after I have a chance to use it. Our son has used this PFD two mornings on his job and his comment was "Way more comfortable".
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: crazy homemade boat guy  (Read 2113 times)
youthpastor

View Profile
« on: July 04, 2009, 11:17:05 PM »

Hi, my name is Tony, and I just built a boat out of plywood with no plans. It's a scow style hull 16' long and 7' wide. I know most of you would probably say I'm crazy for taking this on the ocean, but I have and I do. I just try to stick close to sheltered areas, and watch the weather and waves. I want to actually see if I can get to Victoria with it (I'm in Comox). I think I can if I'm careful.

I get all kinds of looks and comments from the yachters that see me launch it at Comox Marina. Some not so positive, but most of them are very positive and encouraging. It's not a pretty boat, but we have fun in it and we don't take ourselves too seriously.

For my next project, I'd like to build a mini trawler in the 25' range. I think this would be a comfortable sized boat to cruise around Vancouver Island. I guess that's relative.

We moved to Vancouver Island just over 2 years ago and we love it here. I'm here because I'd like to learn more about cruising from some of you experienced folks... as long as you don't take yourself and me too seriously.

Thanks
Tony
Captain Bruce
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 08:01:43 AM »

Hi Tony,

Welcome to the BC Boating Forum. 

Congratulations on building your first boat.  To paraphase the Water Rat, 'there is nothing like messing around in boats'  Could you post a picture of your boat on the Forum?

For your future plans, you might want to look at Sam Devlin's designs, particularly the Surf Scoter and Black Crown.  Sam's design use stitch and glue construction.

Captain Bruce
Chief Instructor
youthpastor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 06:03:36 PM »

thanks bruce,
actually Devlin's website is in my favorites. Just went out for a day cruise today with my two younger sons. From Comox to Denman Island. It was a beautiful day, and we did a little crabbing while we were out too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Just Released!
Boating FAQs - 71 Essential Answers for Every Boater

We recommend: